Scarborough Fly & Bait Casting Association
23 Willowhurst Crescent, Scarborough  Ontario M1R 3R7
Phone & Fax - 416/755-5663
E Mail -
Web Site -
NEW!! E-Books  Web Site -

The Reel Thing
November 2008



G'day to all our wonderful friends, casting and fishing buddies. I have to tell you folks a little about the last

 few fishing trips that my buddies  (and I, she and I, also a buddy, of course) had several rather remarkable

 fishing excursions in the last few months. First, was the story  about about our search and return to a

 different set of waters and watershed itself, when we returned to Quebec's wonderful Broadback River a

 couple ninths ago. That turned out to be another exciting trip for the fellows who were the crew for this year's

 adventure, Paul Kennedy, on his 8th, Lee Pantridge, his second, while Brian Farugia's first and I on my

 30th.....probably the last in the new territory that we had hoped to discover Mr. Big swimming in those in new

 waters waters that we had been contemplating for several years now. As it developed, that trip produced two

 very memorable moments and memories for us but for substantially different reasons which are best left

 closer to the end of the story where the next few paragraphs conclude.


        As for now, October and November, they certainly provided us with an entirely different spot of writing

 for me to write about. During that little hiatus between these trips here and there, Jurgen continued to record

 for us all that he continued right up to the moment with exciting tid bits for us to observe. Jurg took browns,

 rainbows and salmon right up now and well into the beginning of the winter. Bert, his current fishin' buddy,

 also took fish from a number of local streams and rivers, including the Rouge River, Cobourg Creek, Wilmot

 Creek, the Ganaraska River and a couple that Jurg prefers to be left un-named.


        While all this was going on, Paul, Lee, Sheila and I decided it was our turn to see what we could produce

 ourseves, so although the mercury had plummeted well below zero, we bundled up and struck out for the

 wilds of Haliburton. This time though, we elected to take our 24' house trailer as far as we could drive where

 the road ends before it goes into Algonquin Park and the bush and frozen trails and ponds as far as we could

 get......after first, of course unhitching the Jeep to continue the excursion after breakfast. Stepping outside a

 few minutes later was a bit of a shock to our constitutions but leading the way good soldier, Sheila struck out

 with the rest of us for the deep bush.


        Breaking through the inch-thick ice didn't pose and insurmountable problem for us and in about another

 half an hour or so, we pulled up close to the shore which we luckily discovered was still ice-free. Before that

 however we had to remove an enormous tree which, because was on the roofs of both our folding boats

 preventing any further access. Fortunately, Paul had received a chain saw as a Christmas present last year and

 it had been judiciously tossed in our Jeep before leaving Toronto. In less than another half an hour the tree

 became history. Tackle was unloaded, boats readied and with Lee and Paul's assistance, Sheila and I pushed



        Within minutes while she and I were stringing up our rods and Paul who was paddling just far out

 enough to clear the weeds, yelled, "Fish on." Then the fun really began. By the time we had finally decided to

 call it a day, all four of us had caught trout ranging from four-plus pounds and eighteen-inches or so in length.

 We estimated that more than two dozen had already been caught, all released except three or four of the

 largest. It was dark by the time we got back to the trailer, all of us with stories to kick around with each other

 and tired, but satiated with the day's results we all hit the sack early with grins on our respective faces. Even I,

 the Old Guy, had managed to catch a couple nice bows' myself, with Sheila as always showing how it's done.


        The next day the onslaught continued and by the time we decided we had had enough it was mutually

 agreed to call it quits and simply savour the rest of the day's results and efforts, more than thirty or so

 magnificent trout. This trip, it was agreed by all of us was easily one of the best we had, only topped by a

 fabulous day that had there a few years earlier when another old buddy, Jim Lloyd, was with there with similar

 results. That was the day that because of the fantastic fishing he suggested that we call it Limit Lake and of

 course I concurred completely. It has been Limit Lake ever since.


        Because several things had prevented our rushing back up north to Haliburton for a few weeks the next

 trip was slow to get underway, but this time with only two others able to make the 160 mile-hike north this

 time, Outdoor Canada Fishing editor, Patrick Walsh and of course, I and the Old Guy. Nevertheless, the

 three of us to see if we were going to be able to duplicate the previous trip's super results.....wondering

 though if the heavy, wet snow that was falling continuously throughout the entire drive up north was going to

 allow us to even get there with the horrendous conditions we were facing we were driving in. Fortunately

 though, the old Jeep did its job and we managed to keep from ditching it. When we finally turned off into the

 bush trail we discovered it had become so narrow due to the heavy, wet snow load that the trees almost

 prevented our passage. Pat had to get his winter boots on, walking on and off while we used the car to shake

 and bump off the heavier branches to keep from snagging them on the boats fastened on the roof. It

 was slow and laborious work, but with the potential prospect of another great fishing - and catching - trip, we

 pushed on....Pat doing most of the work, lifting the heavier ones that we couldn't just drive though. It's rather

 amazing what we will go through just to put a couple of fish in the pan, isn't it?


        Just as we came around the next bend on the trail, our hearts and spirits sank. Glancing at the clock on

 the dashboard, I looked skywards, as least as much we could see anyhow, and muttered, "What the Hell



        Two newly fallen trees had fallen, forming a huge, perfect 'X' across the trail completely obliterating our

 access. There was no way that we could proceed......unfortunately we had neither Paul's chain saw or old

 Swedish saw, both which had been forgotten. Less than it would have been to reach the remaining half-mile,

 or so, we were forced to accept the inevitable, no fishing for us this time. We both agreed though that it had

 been an interesting an adventure and a great trip driving the old Jeep through the almost impenetrable bush

 and conditions in the deep snow. After bearing with our Reel Thing's readers patiently through to the end of

 this story, the folks still awaiting the conclusion of the November Reel Thing, will find that, although perfectly

 true, it could be for many too difficult to back to the Reel Thing and its conclusion.


This will be an abbreviated REEL THING, because unfortunately as so often happens we do not have much

 to tell you about in this bulletin. We probably should give you an up-date on the medical front though. We

 have had a number of medical situations occurring with the folks in our club that has been the reason

 attendance in the shop and so on has dropped off, but the word is that all is well and thinks will be back to

 normal in short order shortly.

        Currently, our fly-tying and bamboo rod building program is suffering a little, due to the absence, or

 about to be, absence, for several of our more consistently regularly in attendance in the shop and gym.

 Fortunately though, there was a fine turnout for the casting session in the gym a couple of weeks

 ago. Bolstered our numbers were helped by George's coming all the way from Rochester to join us as he

 does as often as he can get away, along with a fine turnout from a few of our other less regular attendees.

        With permission just received from Patrick Walsh's Outdoor Magazine's editor, I can also send along a

 copy of what I think is the best story I have ever written. We were awaiting to hear from Pat in the hopes that

 it may appear eventually in both the magazine along with pictures to back up the proof, accordingly. I trust

 you will enjoy this one and hope to hear and see your reaction.  Returning to our old territory on this fabled

 river proved to be another amazing situation.......... CLICK HERE FOR THE STORY


 Tight lines and narrow loops...........





The Reel Thing

October 2008